[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) unexpected strong meteor shower Oct. 18.1UT

<<
 On Sunday morning 1998 October 18 from 01:10UT to 01:25UT (15 minutes) I
 counted 10 meteors all of which seemed to be pointing back to the Perseid
 radiant (which was near the zenith), though they may have been radiating
 from a point even further over in the east.

Sounds like to me he is seeing Orionid activity? I observed meteors on this
night from California. I have yet to do my report for this night, but my rough
results are:
20 Orionids
3 epsilon Geminids
3 N. Taurids
5 S. Taurids
Total 46 meteors recorded during about 4 observing hours. I was plotting. I
don't see any activity that indicates a possible radiant near Perseus.

Between the hours of about 1 - 2 am local I have about 4 orionids, plus 7
other meteors.

Between the hours of about 2 - 3 am local I have about 4 orionids, plus 6
other meteors.

Between the hours of about 3 - 4 am local I have about 4 orionids also.

For the next 2 hours I recorded about the same number of orionids as well.

George Zay