[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Orionid Summary, Oct 22/23, GRALE (Lew Gramer)

APOLOGIES for that half-edited post! I get fumble-fingered when
I'm missing a few hours sleep... :)   HERE is the full text:

Last night threatened to become another "New England fake-out", as I
and two other observers left for the ATMs Clubhouse in Westford, MA
at about 10pm, only to drive straight into a deep bank of Altocumulus!

By the time we arrived at the site, no patch of sky bigger than 20o
was visible. But thanks to the enjoyable and very ERUDITE company of
Bob Donahue and his friend Aaron Sherman, we actually chatted until
the skies cleared! Starting at 1AM, I was able to get a full 1 hour
of Teff, but not more thanks to my schedule today... :(

Some high clouds persisted throughout the session, with intermittent
partial coverage from both cirrus and cirrostratus, but never so much
that I couldn't avoid them and keep my field of view clear!

Orionid activity had fallen off only slightly from observations two
nights earlier (adjusting for the brighter skies last night), clearly
confirming the broad, even peak which the Orionids are famous for...

Session: Oct 22/23 1998  05:10-06:18 UT       Teff = 1.00
LM average 6.5       0% cloud cover           No breaks
Spor=7, ORI=13, EGE=4, NTA=1, STA=2           Total = 27
Dead time 15 secs / meteor, total dead time = 6.75 minutes

Most interesting meteors of the morning were *three* Epsilon Geminids
in a row, all in the space of five minutes! Most interesting aspect of
the session: listening to Bob Donahue discuss his research as a pro-
fessional astronomer, and enjoying the sky knowledge and also amazing
ability to absorb new things of both Bob and Aaron - thanks, guys!

PS: A formal IMO report for all ORI sessions will follow next week.

Clear skies to all!
Lew