[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Obs, SE Pa. 22/23

william<<
 	To answer your first question, yes I was inside the city limits
 but I would have to clarify that i was 8 miles from center city.  A
 highly residential area, street lights and all....but the park has no
 immediate lights where I was observing. I was surprised to find an LM
 close to what GeoZ gets when he goes to the desert. (I mean to talk to
 him about this.)  My LM for the night was something like 5.6.

I usually observe in the local mountains. Sometimes I travel out to the desert
when there is a major shower and my observatory site is clouded over. At my
observatory, the skies are often quite dark looking towards the South, East,
North and Zenith. There are some lights to my west due to the city of San
Diego 40 miles away. There is something about my vision that won't allow me to
get LM's darker than about 6.1 or 6.2 even when the sky is at it's darkest.
Other observers with me sometimes reach 7.0 skies while I can only get a 6.1.
LM's will vary from person to person for a variety of reasons. Don't panic by
it by trying to force a darker sky because someone else is. Just plug along
with what you can get and what your perception will allow. It's not a contest
of who could see the most, but rather who could be the most consistent with
their methodology.
George Zay