[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) very old sighting

Reading this list has brought back to mind something I saw in the sky
sometime back in the late 70's.  I was in San Jose and it was early evening,
meaning that viewing conditions were poor.  I saw a slow moving object
burning a dull orange-red moving east to west roughly along the ecliptic
trailing a reddish short tail.  The whole thing looked like the standard
cartoon rendition of a flaming comet.  It probably lasted 5 to 10 seconds,
travelled a significant portion of the sky before I lost sight of it, and
left no trail.  I have always assumed it was space junk falling out of
orbit, but I never saw mention of it in the paper, nor have I ever heard a
description of anything else like it.  Has anyone else witnessed burning
space debris?  Do people agree this is what I most probably saw?

Thanks.

-Robert