[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Zodiacal light questions

>More of the light reflects back to the Earth for its surface
>or the interplanetary dust. Does that hand-waving make sense?

It does indeed, Malcolm... And of course, I understand that the
phase geometry is complicated by the fact that much of the ZLP
is due to *forward* scatter of light, but that there's still a
substantal backscatter component: the proportions of each type
of scatter at a particular solar elongation along the ecliptic,
on a given date, will depend on the relative size distribution,
average distance, and density of particles doing the reflecting!

Whew! You can tell it has clouded up in New England once again,
when I start breaking into the theory discussions. ;>

Lew

Follow-Ups: References: