[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonids

>  Group:
>
> What are the chances of seeing the Leonids in Missouri, weather premitting?
>
> Where and when do we start looking.
>
> Lloyd

Lloyd,

I think that the radiant raisen after 11:00 pm of your local time from east,
so should be better to look to south-east after midnight, till morning
twilight. The maximum is predicted around Nov. 17, UT 19:00, which might be
your local afternoon? So it's better for you to observe for Nov. 17, during
00:00 to 05:00, and then Nov. 18, same period. It predictions is correct,
you will still see many meteors as the shower, and in case it comes earlier
than prediction, you have some chance (not much) to see the storm! Ad you
should now in evening of Nov. 18 (your local time) whether the maximum
occurs as precited - just read meteorobs and I'm sure you can see reports
from Asian observers. Anyway, data from your time zone will always be helpful
whenever the maximum happens and I think that you can still see some Leonids
activity which is higher than usual years.

Clear skies to all, Jin
Jin Zhu                           | Tel.: +86-10-62759888 (O)
Beijing Astronomical Observatory  |       +86-10-68392030 (H)
Chinese Academy of Sciences       |       +86-314-5053035-806 (Schmidt dome)
P. R. China                       | Fax : +86-10-62759888
email: zj@bac.pkudot edu.cn or jinzhu@sun.ihep.ac.cn
WWW Home Page: http://vega.bac.pkudot edu.cn/~zj
Pager: zhu@mail.263dot net.cn (only Sub. line) OR +86-10-64256688 PIN 82333