[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs)subvisible meteors was Zodiacal light questions

<<
 Thanks, George, this was extremely helpful! BTW, are there any sites you
 know of on the Web where more details on ZLP (Zodiacal Light Phenomena)
 can be found? Or maybe a good book folks can recommend?<<

Sorry lew I don't know of any websites to direct you to. Perhaps the best book
I can refer you to at the moment from my limited resources is Neil Bones book
about meteors entitled "Meteors". Also you might want to check out IMO's
"Handbook for Visual Meteor Observers".

Lew>> I did have one question though: If Earth is actually inside the zodiacal
 dust cloud, why does the Zodiacal Band only appear to run narrowly along
 the Ecliptic? Under a dark sky, you'd expect it to stretch quite a ways
 above and below the Ecliptic, if we're actually inside of it!<<

I think a lot has to do with the alignment of the dust in relation to the
earth and sun when it is reflected? Some areas of the dust cloud will reflect
light as a group that would make it easier to see than from other areas within
the cloud.
George Zay