[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) October 25/26 1998 observation

Hello again,

Here is the report for my observation on October 25/26. I went to the
Casselman site once again, this time to observe under beautiful, cristal
clear skies. I began observing at 6:05UT, but had to cut short after
almost
2 hours, when cirrus clouds gradually took over and forced me to quit.
During the 2 hours of clear conditions, my limiting magnitude was at 6.5.
Much cooler, had all the winter gear out to counter the below freezing
temp.
Meteors still plentiful, with 51 total. Orionids were barely weaker than
two nights ago. 18 ORI in one hour's time. The Taurids continued with
normal activity and the Epsilon Geminids not doing too bad with 4 seen.
No fireballs this night. Most meteors in the +3 and +4 magnitudes.
The brightest were one -1 Orionid, and a -1 Epsilon Geminid with
2 second train.

There is a rather large amount of dead time in my second hour.
I took a few breaks, to avoid most of the clouds.

By looking at my three Orionids reports, I notice most meteors of
magnitude +2 and brighter (with some +3s) usually appear to me
either blue, yellow or white. As for meteor magnitudes, I seem
to consistently see the most numerous meteors at +4 magnitude.

***************************
NAMN VISUAL SUMMARY REPORT
***************************
DATE: October 25/26 1998
BEGIN: 6:05 UT (1:05 EST)  END: 8:24 UT (3:24 EST)
LOCATION: Long: -75.063 West; Lat: 45.269 North  Elevation:100m
City & Province: Casselman, Ontario, CANADA

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;    / = shower not watched.

PERIOD(UT)    FIELD   Teff   F      LM    SPO ORI EGE STA NTA
6:05-7:06     SE60    1.01  1.00   6.5    12  18   1   3   0
7:06-8:24       "     0.80  1.02   6.5     5   8   3   0   1
Totals:               1.81                17  26   4   3   1  = 51

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER -1   0  +1  +2  +3  +4  +5

SPO     0   0   1   1   1   9   5
ORI     1   2   1   3   9   7   3
EGE     1   0   1   1   0   1   0
STA     0   0   0   0   1   1   1
NTA     0   0   0   0   0   1   0
---------------------------------
Totals: 2   2   3   5  11  19   9

---------------------------------

SKY OBSCURED:
5% from UT 8:08 to 8:15
10% from UT 8:15 to 8:24

Total dead time: 30.5 minutes (including plotting time)
Dead time plots: 30sec, 1 min
Breaks:
UT 7:40-8:08
8:13-8:14

                                   .    .    . .
Pierre Martin                     . . *  . *  .  .
******************************** . . . \   | .  .
NAMN Visual meteor observer       .  .    .  .   . .
RASC Ottawa - meteor coordinator   .    . . .  -* .
Ottawa Valley Astronomy and          . .   . .  .
Observers Group                         /  . .  . .
Graphic Designer                        .  |    .
home:  p.martin@cyberusdot ca                 |   \
work:  pmartin@nmstcdot ca                    *  . \
                                                  *