[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Daylight Leonid Meteor Storm?

kronk<<
 I haven't seen a discussion of the possibility of observing the Leonid
 meteor shower/storm in broad daylight. For me in the Central time zone,
 maximum occurs at 1:45 p.m., which places Leo right on the western horizon.
 The storms have always contained a large number of bright fireballs, with
 previous reports indicating lots of meteors in the -6 to -10 range. The
 brighter fireballs should be fairly easy to spot if you are facing west and
 watching the region 30 to 50 degrees above the horizon.

 Any comments?

Gary,
Lunsford has already brought this up a few weeks ago. I posted this
possibility on aol's bulletin board for meteors and sent a message to the
astronomy mailing list as well. So I think there are folks aware of the
possibility? I'm preparing to watch for daylight leonid fireballs on the 17th
between 10 am and noon. Probably will head up to the observatory in the
mountains to get a cleaner view. I also will be having my hand held camera
ready for any possible bright trains. I'm kinda thinking about what possible
exposures to use right now. Since I will be using daylight exposures, I will
most likely use a fine grain film....or develop HP-5 for a slower ISO.
George Zay