[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) LATE Fwd: Draconids 1998 storm [visual!]

[
 My *EXTREME APOLOGIES* for taking so long to forward THIS very
 intriguing message... Hope I have not derailed the progress of
 meteor science by doing so! Clear skies,
 Lew Gramer <owner-meteorobs@latrade.com>
]

>Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 09:39:25 +0700

Hello All!

I'm Sergey Guryanov - amateur from Siberia, Russia (Zelenogorsk, Krasnoyarsk
region). My location is about E94.5 N56.2 deg.

According to my observations, the 1998 Maximum of Draconid's meteor shower
was about 13h10m -13h15m UT at 8 october 1998 with more than 1000 meteors
per hour inside this time interval! I started about 12h35m with drawing
meteors to the chart in the region size about 60 degrees with center approx.
RA19.0h DE+16.0 deg. directly from my flat.  Some urban light pollution and
haze redused my limit to 3.7 - 4 mag (for stars). But soon I detected that
the activity was great and I could not to draw all meteors! And I began only
count them. At the first time interval 13h10m -13h30m there were 15 meteors
brighter then 2.5m in the region with size about 1/5 from all sky
(Her,Aql,Del,Lyr...): (<0m - 3; 0m - 2; 1m - 2; 2m - 5; 3m - 3). According
to the another observer in our town, approx. the same activity was in
UMa-Boo region. If we can assume that the really number for the 3-mag
meteors was twice more than for 2mag - there were about 10 meteors with 3mag
(but I couldn't to detect all of them) and so on - 20 meteors about 4mag and
40 meteors about 5mag - totally about 80 meteors per 1/3 hour at the 1/5
size of all sky. Multiply - we have about: 80 x 3 x 5 = 1200 meteors per
hour! It is not precision, but the reality was about this. Another such
counting give about 500 meteors/hour at 13h30m -14h15m and about 100 meteors
per hour at 14h15m - 14h45m. At the next time interval (15h10m - 15h20m) I
couldn't detect any meteor brighter than 3m and was finished my
observations. The bright moon (88% illuminated) was from 3 up to 20 degrees
above horizon from the beginning to the end of my observations. Limited
stars magnitudes were changed from 3.7 up to 4.8 mag (unpredictable - hase).
I phoned to the Moscow ("Zvezdochot" (Stargazer) russian magazine) and
reported about the Draconid's activity at 13h30m UT directly after the
maximum.
And some more: one stationary(?) meteor showed the radiant near RA 17h20m,
DE +54.8 deg. But some another seemed, that radiant was not a point, but the
spot about 1 degree or more...  Possible "packs" of bright meteors in this
shower.
Regards, Sergey.

------- End of Forwarded Message