[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) I Cant believe it...

Joy,

> Barely two months ago I never heard of a Leonid, Now I am hoping to convince
> my husband that we should spend at least part of November of next year in
> China visiting clients of mine and in VietNam visiting relatives of his
> sister-in-law.  Too late for us to change our plans for this year, but some
> have suggested that 1999 may well be the big year so Im hopeful.

the chances for 1999 are not bad , indeed. However, it's not a good idea
to travel to China next years, as you may miss the maximum again! The time
of meteor shower maxima shift every year by about 6 hours (after 4
years we have a leap year, so you're back where you started). So if the
maximum occurs at 19:00 UT in 1998, it will be located at about 1:00
UT in 1999. Hence an observing place somewhere in Europe is advised. The
only problem we have here is the bad weather in November...

Sirko

--
*  Dipl.-Inform. Sirko Molau                  *                          *
*  RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI  *                          *