[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Possible alert : Taurids

Hello,

There has been suggestion that this year's Taurid meteor
shower could produce an outburst of bright meteors.
I have seen such a display in 1991 during a short observation.

It was clear last night, but I could not observe. Instead,
I casualy watched from window facing south for perhaps
15 minutes. In that time, I saw one Taurid, slow of magnitude
0 or -1. I know this is not an accurate report by any means
but I hope to observe tonight?

I know everyone is busy right now with preparations for the Leonids,
but it might be worth observing the Taurids in the next few days
to see what they are up to? I would perhaps start observing late at
night until dawn, when the moon is lowest or has set. If the Taurids
do produce a high proportion of bright meteors this year, then I expect
they should stand out well despite the moonlight.

I hope others can make it. It might be very interesting to compare
average meteor magnitudes for this one.

                                   .    .    . .
Pierre Martin                     . . *  . *  .  .
******************************** . . . \   | .  .
NAMN Visual meteor observer       .  .    .  .   . .
RASC Ottawa - meteor coordinator   .    . . .  -* .
Ottawa Valley Astronomy and          . .   . .  .
Observers Group                         /  . .  . .
Graphic Designer                        .  |    .
home:  p.martin@cyberusdot ca                 |   \
work:  pmartin@nmstcdot ca                    *  . \
                                                  *