[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: NWM98Oct27/28 meteors dull+Taurids

After letting three uncertain nights with some  variable cloudiness go by, I
finally went out 1998 Oct 27/28.  But it was a crushing disappointment with
poor rates despite a fine LM7.3 sky.  Upon arrival I quickly saw two casual
meteors which got my hopes up.  But after starting the session I had to wait
15 minutes before seeing anything at all.  Observing time lasted 1:28 hours
from 223 to 351 EST  (723 - 851 UT) and yielding only 18 meteors total.
There were 4 North Taurids, 3 South Taurids, 5 Orionids, 1 ambiguous N/S
Taurid, and 5 sporadics.  I gave up and napped for an hour.  A ten-minute
casual watch just before dawn had no more meteors.  I was studying the
zodiacal light in a peculiar, narrow, column-like display instead of the
usual inverted cone.  It was quite bright but only about 10 degrees wide
uniformly  from zenith to horizon.

The first four nights of the Orionid max period were a total loss.  Only the
final night, Oct 24/25, showed some promise but with large cloud groups
crossing occasionally.  I didn't go out then.  After hearing about good
rates from others, I was expecting more from the present night.  But looking
back at 1995 Oct 27/28 it turns out I did no better then ; the following
night improved greatly.  This year with a lot going on at the house I have
decided to pass up further observing until after full moon.

Reading about the possibility of bright Taurids was interesting.  After
active observing throughout the 1970's I noticed a definite trend.  Higher
Taurid rates with many bright ones come in years ending in 1, 4, 7, and 8.
In the other years the rates can be dismal with no fireballs at all.   The
moon interfered with the key years in the early 80's, but since then the
trend is still present.  1988 was memorable with 2 major North Taurid
fireballs only 3 nights apart.  First was 1988 Nov 6/7 at 132 AM EST  (632
UT) blue  -10m with train 30 seconds.  Then 1988 Nov 9/10 at 202 AM EST
(702 UT) blue-green  -12 with 40-second train.  Both of these were high in
the sky so I was quite close to them ; the sky turned blue with most stars
blotted out.  Several separate hours during this period had total Taurid
rates around 15/hour in sky LM7.3-7.4.  Any Taurid is striking to see
because of slow speed, giving you a chance to get a good look at a meteor.
Magnitude  +2m and brighter Taurids look like they come from a Roman candle.
Fainter ones range on down to  +6m.

After full moon it would be wise to do some mid-evening observing for
Taurids.  For a change there is something to see after 9 PM or so.  I want
to do early observing from about Nov 7/8 onwards for a week or so, assuming
some of that period is clear.  Taurid rates tend to be best between 11 PM
and 1 AM when the radiants are culminating.

I saw the shuttle go up Thursday, the orange booster flame reaching an
elevation of ten degrees to my NE at a true distance of around 150 miles
from the launch point.  The smoke trail made an angle of only 30 degrees to
the horizon.  Friday night Joan and I took in a  -6m Iridium flash near the
end of twilight ; this was the brightest I've seen, true to the prediction,
and causing a bit of blue sky surrounding the flare.

There are comments to make on some of the posts from the last 3 weeks, when
I get the time.

Norman