[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Warning : Taurid fireball increasing.

George Zay wrote:

>I'd be more incline to think they are S. Taurids and not N. Taurids. The S.
>Taurids have seemed to be quite active in relation to the N. Taurids up to
>this point. Also the S. Taurids are expected to peak around Nov 5th while the
>N. Taurids are suppose to peak around Nov 12th. The radiant locations for
>both
>of these showers are quite close and easily to mistaken one for the other.

I would agree on the activity with more S. Taurids than N. Taurids for the
present time. You mention the peak is around Nov 5th. I have seen some
references and books place the peak at Nov 1, others at Nov 2, Nov 3 or
Nov 4. I believe the simplest explanation is the broad peak that last
several days without much difference of rates between Oct31 to Nov6.
The S. Taurids are produced from comet Encke. The N.Taurids are part
of the ecliptical meteors that encounter Earth all year round.
And yes, both these radiants are close together and easily mistaken.

Perhaps as we encounter the S.Taurids each year, with comet Encke at
different positions in its orbit, then we witness a slightly variable
shower.

Pierre

                                   .    .    . .
Pierre Martin                     . . *  . *  .  .
******************************** . . . \   | .  .
NAMN Visual meteor observer       .  .    .  .   . .
RASC Ottawa - meteor coordinator   .    . . .  -* .
Ottawa Valley Astronomy and          . .   . .  .
Observers Group                         /  . .  . .
Graphic Designer                        .  |    .
home:  p.martin@cyberusdot ca                 |   \
work:  pmartin@nmstcdot ca                    *  . \
                                                  *