[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Halloween Meteors

>My astronomical society is holding a Leonid Watch on the evening of  the
17th,
>and if people are interested to hear how it goes I'll post a  report on the
>List.
>
>Again, my apologies if this hasn't been very informative or  scientific,
but I
>thought it might give you a glimpse into what's  going on over here in a tiny
>corner of the UK.
>
>Regards,
>
>Stuart Atkinson,
>Secretary, Cockermouth Astronomical Society, UK.

Stuart, don't worry much about your "non-informative or scientific"
posting: the very tone and the description of the outing plus reactions of
your "watchers" is something that all of us sometimes need to hear when the
clouds force us to keep our heads indoors week after week! Well-written
anecdotes describing experiences of showing "newbies" the wonders of the
dark night sky are always welcome because they often give others ideas of
how to do the same. For my part, I thank you for your posting!

>P.S. On a slightly different subject... has anyone ever calculated  which
>meteor showers - if any - future martian colonists will be able  to see? Will
>they have annual showers to look forward to, as we do? IT  may be a really
>dumb question, but I'd really like to know so I can  work it into the kids SF
>novel I'm currently writing. Thanks in  advance! - Stu

Umm..without a substantive atmosphere, there'd be nothing for the meteors
to ionize, would there?? You would probably have to add some "atmosphere
generators" to the colonists' equipment.... some kind of ovens that burn or
melt ice blocks down into oxygen and hydrogen, brought back from the moons
of Jupiter or some such.... let's not get into that here, though!

Clear skies,

SteveH
Shrewsbury MA

Follow-Ups: References: