[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Radiants, was Re: (meteorobs) A blank meteor reporting form

Hi,

In observing, never use these very thight radiant diameters. With direct
classification you simply cannot determine the radiant direction of the
observed meteor that precise, and with plotting, always expect some
deviations (a few degrees in direction can make for several degrees in
diameter).
These very thight radiant diameters are only usefull when you can
determine radiants with photographic precision.

In general, I feel that IMO's recommended diameters are very usefull
except perhaps that in a few occasions they suggest very large diameters
for meteors far from the radiant. Observing not too far from the radiant
(say 30-90 degrees, with plotting I usually allow for some 5-10 degrees
diameter, sometimes slightly larger with known diffuse streams.

- Marco Langbroek