[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) To dew or not to dew...

Hi Cathy!

>Anyway, just a suggestion, for those who might be interested, and who might
>not be familiar with this method of combatting moisture on equipment!

Thanks for those helpful suggestions!

I would like to add another method I use to combat dew. It is a very
simple one and effective for those 'electrically challenged' like I am.
I find it useful in my case since I only do occasional astrophotography,
especially on an important meteor night.

When I set up my camera, I first tape the lens focus at infinity,
so I'm sure it won't shift out of focus. Then, I wrap the lens in a
cloth of some sort to act as heat insulation.  Then I'll use a handwarmer
heater (small package widely available in most camping stores for about
2 dollars. You just open them up, activate them with the air, and voila).
Anyway, I'll place one of those securly between the camera lens and
the cloth. And that should do it.

This should keep the lens warm and dry for up to 5-7 hours, enough to last
the whole night!  No worries about electrical power, hair dryers, etc...
And this crude dew system will do the jod no matter how warm,
cold or wet it is.

Pierre

                                   .    .    . .
Pierre Martin                     . . *  . *  .  .
******************************** . . . \   | .  .
NAMN Visual meteor observer       .  .    .  .   . .
RASC Ottawa - meteor coordinator   .    . . .  -* .
Ottawa Valley Astronomy and          . .   . .  .
Observers Group                         /  . .  . .
Graphic Designer                        .  |    .
home:  p.martin@cyberusdot ca                 |   \
work:  pmartin@nmstcdot ca                    *  . \
                                                  *