[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Distance to meteor ?

steve<<
 I am wondering about the variables and distances a meteor is from the
 observer.  If a meteor is directly overhead then it is about 100 plus
 kilometers from the observer if that is the height to the edge of the
 ionosphere at that certain moment?  If a meteor shower radiant is 15
 degrees above the horizon then what are distance parameters to individual
 meteors?

 For examaple:  If I observe the Leonids when the radiant is 15 degrees
 above the horizon then how close could a Leonid ever get to me in terms of
 miles/kilometers?

Steve,
I'm not a math wizard at all...as a matter of fact, if I can't do it on my
fingers, I'm in deep kempshe. But I come up with a figure that meteors would
be about 386 km away in this case.
George Zay