[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Distance to meteor-followup question

Thomas Ashcraft wrote:

>For examaple:  If I observe the Leonids when the radiant is 15 degrees
>above the horizon then how close could a Leonid ever get to me in terms of
>miles/kilometers?

Jim Richardson wrote:

----------
90 deg, 80-120 km
80 deg, 81-122 km
70 deg, 85-128 km
60 deg, 92-138 km
50 deg, 104-156 km
45 deg, 112- 168 km
40 deg, 123-184 km
35 deg, 138-205 km
30 deg, 157-234 km
25 deg, 184-273 km
20 deg, 224-239 km
15 deg, 286-416 km
10 deg, 394-557 km
5 deg, 600-805 km
0 deg, 1013-1242 km

Note that the above approximate ranges are NOT a function of the shower
radiant altitude, but are instead a function of the actual meteor's
altitude.  A shower radiant near the horizon (especially a fast shower) can
still produce one of those lovely "grazing" meteors almost directly
overhead -- albeit quite infrequently.  This used to be one of my favorite
features of the Eta Aquarid shower during radiant rise;  those rare trained
"streamers" which would cover 70-90 degrees of arc in an incredibly short
amout of time.<<<

*******

Jim R, Mark M, George Z, and all,

Many thanks for the detailed replies. Now for a followup question on
fireball travel distances.

How far could an Eta Aquarid fireball (or Leonid) travel across the sky in
terms of miles/kilometers? Could one Eta Aquarid (or Leonid) travel a full
400 miles before burning out? Further?

Specifically, could a Leonid enter the atmosphere when the shower radiant
is at 15 degrees from the observer and streak to a point 90 degrees
overhead?

Thanks again for any information on these matters.

Tom Ashcraft