[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Warning : Taurid fireball increasing.

George Zay <GeoZay@aol.com> wrote:
>The parent object to the Chi Orionids appears to be the asteroid
>Oljato. Now Oljato is a member of the Taurid complex itself along
>with about 20 or more other asteroids and a comet or two. <<

Lew>>Amazing, George - I had no idea that there was another asteroid-source
shower in the IMO list (besides the Geminids)! Nor that all these "non-
meteoroidal" objects were known to be parts of that stream!
What is a good reference for reading more on this topic of the Taurids
and their many and various components?? (Perhaps I'm not reading my
WGN issues closely enough?!) Thanks!<<

Lew, I got this information right out of IMO's Visual Handbook for Meteor
Observing. Refer to the section about the taurids on page 230 and see table 2
on page 233. All those objects in the table are part of the Taurid complex.
You will note the asteroid Oljato as being one of them. Then turn to the
section about the chi Orionids on page 247 and note where it states that the
shower is "possibly related with (2201) Oljato". Again Oljato is mentioned on
page 249.
George Zay