[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Distance to meteor-followup question

Jim,

I really appreciate your detailed replies. It helps me get a better grasp
of the meteoroid streams in space. Many thanks for your time.

My "distance to meteor" questions are in relation to a post that appeared
on this list concerning "electrophonic sounds." I am also pondering the
possibility of receiving direct radio emissions from meteors at ELF
(extremely low frequencies). Supposedly this has been done but I am not
familiar with actual scientific reports proving ELF meteor receptions.

It would seem to me that *direct radio reception* (not forward scatter in
this case) would be more advantageous the closer the meteor is to the radio
observer. At around 1800 UT on November 17, the general predicted peak time
of the Leonids, the Leonid radiant is 15 degrees above the horizon to my
west. If meteors actually appeared  90 degrees above my location in Santa
Fe, New Mexico then there might be a possiblity of receiving them directly
by ELF monitoring. But if they will never get closer than a couple hundred
or so miles from me then it would seem the possibilities of reception would
be reduced. (Though I am just speculating here.)

I have a simple ELF radio receiver and have attempted one direct reception
experiment during the Perseids but did not get any positive results. I will
continue to think on this subject and hope to do more experiments in the
future.

Best of luck with your own meteor watch.--Tom Ashcraft