[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Oct 20/21B 1998 fireball report

Hi John,

><< PERSISTENT TRAIN:  Yes, 8 minutes! >>
>Is that possible?    I can't remember ever hearing of such a slow
>fireball...

The actual meteor (trail) I saw was very fast and lasted only 1 second.
A train was left behind (as Lew explained) that remained visible
for 8 minutes before completely vanishing from high altitude winds.

As for Iridium satellite flares, I don't think they can be easily
confused with slow meteors, especially after seeing a number of both.
Iridium flares have a gradual brightening until peak and a gradual
decrease until they disappear. Satellites are usually much slower and
last much longer than most meteors. Meteors will often have quick
flares, subtil changes in velocity and/or wakes or trains that sets
them apart from satellites.

Pierre Martin                     . . *  . *  .  .
NAMN Visual meteor observer       .  .    .  .   . .
RASC Ottawa - meteor coordinator   .    . . .  -* .
Ottawa Valley Astronomy and          . .   . .  .
Observers Group                         /  . .  . .