[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Dew prevention on lens with soap

Last night I tried a little experiment with liquid soap as a means to prevent
dew from forming on the lens of a camera. I had a foot long piece of flat
glass to play around with. Last night I rubbed a small dab of soap onto the
mid section of the glass until it appeared to be completely gone. I left it
outside over night. I checked it once about 2 hours later and noticed dew
covering the area of glass that I didn't coat and the area that did have the
coating was dry as a bone. This morning there wasn't much dew outside at
all...apparently the humidity and temperatures changed somewhat during the
night? The entire glass was dry...including the area that I didn't coat. I'm
off to work, but I'm bringing the glass with me as well as a spare old camera
lens. I will try them both tonight and see what happens? hopefully it will be
a dewey night to give me a better idea as to what I'm facing with this idea?
George Zay