[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: [ASTRO] Dew prevention on lens with soap

Huub<<
 Hi George,
 You used an old trick. I use a very cheap shampoo to coat the mirror in my
 bathroom. It takes much longer before  "dew"/watervapor gets grip on the
 mirror.<<

Thanks for the bathroom mirror input. I didn't think to use it on my mirror in
the bathroom too? Probably will work there as well?

Huub>> I never tried this on the front lens of my C8. But why shoul'dn't it
work?
 Could soap/shampoo do any harm on the coatings ??

I wouldn't recommend putting it on your telescope lens without knowing what it
might do to the coatings. I'm personally willing to sacrifice the coatings off
a relatively inexpensive camera lens for the purpose of capturing meteors. But
this is a conscious decision on my part to solve a problem that I have to
frequently deal with. I think the gain will be greater than any loss that
might occur to the camera lens?
George Zay