[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: [ASTRO] Dew prevention on lens with soap

At 02:34 PM 11/6/98 EST, you wrote:

><<
> Does the shampoo coating really delay dewing or does it actually just allow
> the dew to condense in a uniform film that is less noticeable than the
usual
> small droplets?
>
> George,

>It's been a few years since I took chemistry (Use it or loose it--Ha,Ha!)
but I remember water tends to form beads/droplets due to a property called
water tension which essentially results from Hydrogen bonding. I believe
emulsifying agents such as soap tend to breakdown and disrupt hydrogen
bonding, resulting in NOT a loss of water but rather a "spreading out" of
water molecules.

FYI: Our scuba diving instructor always told us to use saliva to coat the
inside of our face masks prior to a dive.

Oh yah, I forgot to mention that I would probably use deionized/distilled
water in making "soap films."

Probably venturing off subject--sorry

Mark Mikutis