[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: [ASTRO] Dew prevention on lens with soap

Rod<<
 I'd say that rather than putting a film of soap on a lens a _much_ better
 solution would simply be to buy (or build) a 'Kendrick style' heating element
 for your lens which would apply gentle heat and would keep your lens free
from
 dew as long as your battery lasts. <<

I have a system like that already and use it quite frequently. I'm just
looking for alternatives that may work.You never know if your kendrick style
heating element may fail on a crucial night? It helps to have alternatives. I
also use a hair dryer. Sometimes I go back packing to observe and I don't want
to carry the extra 8 pounds of weight in the form of a battery. I usually have
a lot of extra with me as it is.

Rod>>I wouldn't dream of doing piggyback shots
 without a Kendrick heater wrapped around the lens these days. <<

You ever thought what you would do if your kendrick system failed on you just
as you started meteor observing? I have a pretty good idea what I will do in
such an event.

Rod>>No messy soap,
 no chance of messing up a decent lens (sure don't want the yucky goop getting
 inside the lens) and there's no doubt that with a dew zapper of this type
your
 lens will stay dew free! <<

It's only messy if you come unprepared and are a clutz. I've already gone thru
two dew zappers...both at very in opportune times.
George Zay