[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: [ASTRO] Dew prevention on lens with soap

mikutus>> Also, one runs the risk of
 possible abrassion to the lens when cleaning off this soap film. These
 coatings are meant to withstand a certain amount of abrassion when cleaned
 with lens tissue, although cleaning off a soap film may require more
 friction.<<

Yes abrasion would be a risk....probably a better reason to have a UV filter
over the lens and coat it?

mikutis>>Furthermore, many soaps have perfume additives and some even have
 abrassive agents, etc. which may also react with the lens coating. I guess
 I would be hesitant to try this with my lens. I would definitely use a very
 pure and mild soap if I did. I guess I will stick with the more traditional
 methods involving radiant heat transfer. Occasional soap film applications
 probably okay, however, if used considerably overtime?

mild soap without abrasives would be ideal. Safety note....avoid LAVA soap.
:o)
I wouldn't be hesitant to try this with my lens....but I most likely wouldn't
be counting on it as my primary means to remove dew. It would just be another
means in my "arsenal" to control dew dependent upon the circumstances and
situation. I prefer the heat transfer methods, but they might not always be
available?
George Zay