[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Sino-Dutch Leonid Expedition 1998

Dear meteorworker,

Time has come.
Today, saturday November 7 at 15:35 UT, the Sino-Dutch Leonid Expedition
1998 will depart from the Netherlands to China in order to observe the
famous Leonid meteorstream.

We hope, as do many of our colleagues, to observe the expected outburst
which is anticipated for November 17 between 18 and 22 UT. We will try to
observe the stream by all means: visual, photographic, video and radio.
Observations will be carried out at two widely separated locations to
maximize the change on clear skies at least at one location.

We will try to keep everybody informed on what is happening in China
regarding the expedition. We will make use of fax, e-mail and our website.
We presume the very first observational results will be send to the
mailinglists "meteorobs" and "imo-news". A little later results will be
published at our DMS website too: http://home.wxsdot nl/~dms-web/

Do not forget to visit the website of Dr. Peter Jenniskens too:
http://www-space.arc.nasadot gov/~leonid/. This website will inform you on the
Airborne mission. Our friends from IMO have set-up an expedition to
Mongolia and will make their observational results available on the
IMO-website: http://www.imodot net/news/news.html

To conclude: the greatest expedition in history of the Dutch Meteor Society
 will take off within hours. It will without any doubt a wonderfull
adventure: what will happen above our heads? How will things work out in
China? The different culture certainly has a big influence on our
expedition too. We all are proud to be able to participate in this project.
Thanks to modern communication techniques everybody on planet earth should
be able to follow our activities almost live.

Best wishes and clear skies to the Leonids!

Casper ter Kuile.

Sino-Dutch Leonid Expedition 1998
(Dutch Meteor Society)
http://home.wxsdot nl/~dms-web/