[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs)Dew prevention on lens with soap

>    Ed>>Fast meteors such as the Perseids have strong emissions at the blue
>end
>of the spectrum, ie.  H & K lines of Ca+.  UV filters may prevent you from
>recording this region and thus reduce your chances of recording the fainter
>meteors of this type.<<
>
>For a long while I use to shoot meteors with a UV filter...got plenty of
them
>with it on. Later took it off and still get about the same magnitude
threshold
>when everything else is taken into consideration. There appears to me to be
no
>appreciable noticeable effect having a UV filter on or not when
photographing
>a meteor? I understand that the glass that makes up the lens of a camera
will
>filter out a certain amount of UV light as well? a little more filtering
>probably wouldn't hurt?

George:

    I didn't check the transmission characteristics of a UV filter.  I
suspect one would have some effect, but this may be minimal.  It must have
some effect however, or why would you use one on a camera.    Normal lenses
do indeed have limited uv transmission.  You probably won't record much
below 360 nm.
UV spectra have been secured but these cameras had special optics, quartz
elements I believe.

Ed