[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Long Range Weather Prospects for the Leonids

Although still nearly ten days off, we are now close enough to November 17 to
allow one to speculate on what the weather patterns across North America might
be like by utilizing the MRF (Medium Range Forecast) models of the National
Weather Service.  Admittedly, beyond 144 hours (six days) the accuracy of the
model diminishes considerably. . . yet it is still of some interest to see
what might lie ahead.

The map for Tuesday, November 17 at 00:00 UTC, depicts a rather intense storm
system over the northern Great Plains, with an associated cold front draped
across the central plains down toward Oklahoma and Texas.  A weaker low
pressure disturbance is moving northeast through the Maritimes of eastern
Canada.  High pressure appears to be trying to slowly build from the Ohio
Valley east to the Atlantic coast. Another weak zone of high pressure appears
to be pushing toward California from the Pacific coast.

This is probably all going to change somewhat in the coming days.  By
Wednesday however, we should have a pretty good idea as to what areas are
likely to be "zonked" by cloud cover as opposed to those regions that have a
fighting chance to have clear skies on the night of the 17/18.

-- joe rao