[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: The Countdown Has Begun...

STUARTATK@aol.com wrote:

> As the Away Team departs for China - Clear Skies and lots of action,  guys! -this might be a good time to take a step back, a deep breath,   and look at where we are now, and what's about to happen...

I don't know about you, but with just over a week to go until the
Leonids I feel kind of like one of those guys in a white lab coat from
the film "Close Encounters", standing at the base of Devils Tower,
waiting for the Mothership to appear...  I know something's going to
happen, but not what, exactly; I know I'll see something, but not
what, exactly; I know, weather permitting, that I *will* see shooting
stars, but not how many, exactly. For years I've read about the Great
Storms of 1966, 1833 and earlier, imagined what it would have been
like to have been under those falling skies, felt impatient that
the  next Storm was so far away... and now suddenly it's just around
the corner, ten sunsets away... I feel just like I did in the weeks
leading up to my first sighting of Halley's Comet: impatient, tense,
nervous... come on,look me in the eye and tell me you don't feel the
same... but oh, it's a wonderful, horrible, feeling, isn't it? <

That pretty well sums up my feelings yet there is nothing HORRIBLE about
this situation. The most horrible thing I could think of is for an
observer to begin seeing the beginnings of a storm only to have cloud
cover suddenly obscure their view.

> We're all players in the biggest  Lottery of all time here! Only one  thing is certain: if there is a  Storm, some of us will see it, and
others - probably most of us -  won't. There'll be winners and losers
on the night, and celebrations and wakes the following day. >

The only losers will be those who know about this event yet don't bother
to wake themselves or their children to share the wonder of it all.
Anyone who makes an effort, whether they see thousands of meteors or
none at all, is a winner in my book.

> Next time around - whenever the next time *is*, that's kind of up to  Jupiter and its gravitational influence! -  it will, literally, be a   time enhanced video of the display as seen from the Moon... >

I doubt the moon has enough of an atmosphere to produce much of a
display ;)

Stuart, thanks for sharing your feelings with us and I hope others will
do the same as we approach the peak day. Let us also take a deep breath
and not let excitement get the better of us. I hope we don't have to
read about Leonids being seen early this week, Leonid fireballs lighting
up the sky just after sunset, or storm like rates next weekend.

Please remember that the Leonids will not begin to appear until later
this week and with rates of only 1-2 PER NIGHT. Also it is impossible
for Leonids to be seen in your sky until the radiant is within 5 degrees
of the horizon which is around 11pm local time for most of us. Lastly,
remember that strong Leonid activity will be limited to only a few hours
on the 17th-18th.

May all our clouds head out to sea allowing everyone a fair chance at
seeing some activity!

Best Wishes for Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford