[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Leonid "radiant glow"

in previous message on this issue, the results were given of predicted
radiant glow of leonids, as i understood, in _arbitrary units_, without
any reference to what should be the magnitude of the glow we will observe.
i am not expert in asteroid astronomy, so i was really not able to repeat
and understand that calculus in details.

however, several months ago on another meteor-list, observers from croatia
and yugoslavia discussed the matter, and i calculated what should be total
magnitude from the core of the stream. the result obtained from very
simple calculus and plausible assumptions is that magnitude from the
stream, as diffuse object, should be 8mag/deg^2, and probably much
fainter. unless i made some terrible mistake, the glow cannot be any
brighter than that. so, if you want to record it, you'd better have good
equipment with tracing mechanism.

i typeset this during the weekend, and you may pick up postscript-file at
petnica meteor group's hp:
http://www.physics.uiucdot edu/~lukic/PMG/leonid-glow.ps.
i tried to make it as simple as possible and available for general
audience. as a matter of fact, to understand it you need only some general
knowledge in astronomy (i did not skip the steps, so it really shouldn't
be a problem to follow it). i'd also like to hear any comments about
mistakes or wrong estimates i may have made.

as about casper's remark about dms's perseid-glow poster from imc in
puimichel: i have an impression that right there at imc we concluded that
what you saw could not be radiant glow, as it was recorded neat
_geocentric_ radiant, and not _heliocentric_, as it should be? please,
correct me if i'm wrong, i may not recollect it very well.

cheers,

vladimir