[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Long Range Weather Prospects for the Leonids

Here in Oregon, it is virtually useless to predict weather this far in advance, except possibly during the summer.  There are so many variables: moisture and clouds can come from the Gulf of Alaska or from Hawaii; there's marine air, valley fog, and mountain snow to watch out for, all with different triggers and thresholds. Locally in Portland, we usually are socked in but an east wind down the Columbia Gorge can clear things out in a hurry (but may bring snow in as well).  I probably won't decide where to go until Monday afternoon (evening if it's really iffy).  My useful range is about 200 miles; I figure I'll have to go East, and if the mountain passes are treacherous the roundabout ways can burn up mileage and time really fast.

--
Wes Stone
whs@earthlingdot net