[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Leonids Viewing in S. CA

> JL from  Nagoya, Japan  wrote:

> "You'll have to travel to Japan or China to see much, from what I hear. "

   Well, JL, you heard wrong.  Let's make it clear.  ONE DOES NOT HAVE TO
TRAVEL TO JAPAN OR CHINA TO SEE MUCH..   This is simply untrue.  there is a
high probabililty that under clear dark skies anyone and everyone should see a
nice show.. According to models, the highest probablilty of a bona fide meteor
storm is will occur in China, however, I read last night that models predicted
the 1966 storm to occur over Europe and it actually occured over the Western
US. The meteor storm thing has been overly hyped.   It sure would be cool to
see the REAL DEAL.   However, Im not even going to be worry about it.  What Im
thinking is that Im going to see LOTTSA OF METEORS..

    Re: last years Leonids, like John N, I too had a good show, though not
nearly as many... I observed from urban  La Jolla (just 13mi N from downtown
San Diego) and under clear but poor LM 5.4 skies and  saw 63 beautiful meteors
(Teff=2hrs) .  Nearly 1/3 of these were either 0 or negative magnitudes.
Absolutely satifying and worth a day off work!

   Looks like we here in Sountern California are in store for some optimal
Leonid weather.  The extended 3-5 days forcast
calls for coastal fog, buit otherwise cool crisp clear nights especially
inland.:->>>....  I will be heading up a group of 5 novice observers to the
local mounatins (Mount Laguna, ~15 miles beyond George Zays observatory)  for a
Leonid camping trip  I have arranged to have the entire week off paid
vacation.:-))).  Ready and waiting......

Good luck  and clear SoCal-type skies to all,

Joseph
San Diego