[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fwd: Leonid viewing in the Illinois region

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 21:39:28 -0600
From: Carlos Rios <crbulls@ixdot netcom.com>
To: Lew Gramer <dedalus@latrade.com>
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Re: meteorobs-digest V1 #817

Lew, Thanks for the info. I contacted the Adler Planetarium
& they sent me the attached. If you like, share this with the others
on the MeteorObs list.    Carlos

Enclosed is the Press Release from the Adler Planetarium regarding
Leonids.

For Immediate Release - November 5, 1998

Contact: Dawn Kappel - Public Relations Manager - 312-322-0524

Catch Meteor Madness at the Adler Planetarium  & Astronomy Museum

Sears, Roebuck & Co. generously sponsors the Adler's public events for
families.

Will this be the year when the Leonid Meteor Shower gives viewers a
spectacular show in the wee hours of the morning of November 17?  The
Leonids, so-named because their paths through the sky can be traced back
to a point in the direction of the constellation Leo, occur every
November and have, throughout history, frightened people into believing
that the end of the world was near. While most years the shower is
insignificant, approximately every 33 years the Leonid Meteor shower
becomes a spectacular meteor storm capable of illuminating the night sky
with thousands of meteors. The last dramatic storm took place in 1966,
so 1998 could be the year to view this incredible light show.

The Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum will be co-hosting viewing
events in three different locations between 4:00 - 6:00 a.m. on Tuesday,
November 17, 1998. Astronomers will be on-site at the Adler, at the
University of Chicago's Yerkes Observatory in southeast Wisconsin and
at Fermilab in Batavia. Sky watchers are encouraged to bring their own
chair, blankets and hot chocolate or coffee in order to make viewing in
the early morning hours more comfortable.

Astronomers predict that the best viewing for this year=92s storm will be
in Asia and the Far East. Visibility in the Chicago area may be somewhat
limited by the effects of light pollution and by potential adverse
weather conditions, but astronomers will be on hand at all three venues
regardless of weather. If inclement weather does occur, the Adler will
offer an indoor lecture on meteor showers. Those observing at Fermilab
should enter the facility from the west, using the Kirk Road entrance.
The event will take place in the Lederman Science Education Center
parking lot. Yerkes Observatory is located on the
northwest shore of Lake Geneva just west of the town of Williams Bay,
Wisconsin.

The Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum opened in 1930 as the first
Planetarium in the Western Hemisphere. Expanded and renovated facilities
resulting from a $40 million campaign are scheduled to open in two
phases in 1999. Fueling the imagination of museum visitors with all new
exhibits and state-of-the-art computer technology in the world's first
StarRiderTM Theater, while showcasing the Adler=92s renowned collection
of historical astronomy artifacts, the Adler remains dedicated to its
mission to be the leading center for interpreting the exploration of
the universe. For more information, call  (312) 922-STAR

------- End of Forwarded Message