[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor Observations Nov 12/13, 1998 ZAYGE

<<
 George,
 I'm curious about your observatory and what it's like.  Is it specialized
 for meteor observing?  If so, how is it constructed?
 I'm interested in any info you can give about it.

Well...when I first built the observatory I didn't have meteor observing in
mind. It just evolved into using it for that. It is of all wood construction.
I had no plans to go by...sorta by the seat of the pants construction. For a
few years I used the observatory primarily for astrophotography purposes. As I
got interested into meteor work, I found it advantageous to observe from a
high advantage point. The roof of the observatory is flat and octagon shaped
and about 15 feet above ground. It will allow two people to observe quite
adequately. I have small railings on top to help keep me from falling off.
Also there are steps leading to the roof. The modifications I've made for
meteor observing are done in such a way that I can still use the observatory
with my 10 inch SCT inside when desired with little fuss. For meteor purposes,
the observatory is primarily a storage shed to keep my equipment inside.
Namely I keep my tripod with rotating shutter, cots, hand warmers, radio (to
either listen to meteors or music...lately i mostly listen to music),
extension cords, sleeping bags, blow dryer, strobe light, spare pencils,
rulers, flash lights, camera tracking device and battery to power it and spare
charts along with other trinkets that might become handy. Also I store
drinking water, some food (pork and beans :o)) etc. The top of the observatory
rotates on 8 wheels by hand pulling when I use it that way. But for meteor
observing, it is locked in place. I hope that gives you a rough idea to what
it is like. It's not fancy...but functional.
George Zay