[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids from NJ Nov 15/16

Leonid report from Northwestern NJ
Despite a clear forecast, clouds bothered us quite a bit last night. At the
NJAA, we only had a clear hour or two, but two Canadian shooting stars
actually landed on the NJAA property!! 'Twas Pierre and Cathy, who drove
for 12 hours to examine the NJ clouds. Actually we did see a few
Leonids...two bright ones lit up the ground through the clouds, and only
the observer who had slept in the previous 12 hours (me) still had his eyes
open to see a marvelous -8 Leonid Fireball at 6:03 AM EST (11:03 UT);
however, Cathy did open her peepers to peep at the train from this meteor.
It was followed at two minute intervals by two Iridium flares which were
not as bright!

As for tonight, the outlook is murky, with a chance of clearing toward
dawn...although there may possibly be a small gap between the northern
system and that mess in the southeast...so we we will decide later in which
direction we shall head...or possibly just stay here and wait for the cl
earing.

Good luck to all!

Wayne, Cathy, Pierre, Amber, Crystal, and Pooh