[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) clear skies around Beijing, China

The weather is quite clear now in Xinglong, China, and it
seems (and be forecasted) will also be clear tomorrow night!
I just saw a very bright Leonids fireball (-10?) and its
train last for more than two minutes, when I took my
daughter to see the shooting star. Everyone on the mountain
station must see that and it could be recorded in some
DMS cameras? You will see detail report later from more
experienced observers later...

Anyway, it seems that Leonids is now already coming with
high rate. Bright ones are many. I saw three (one is SPO :)
in just several minutes - will make real observation after
having the kid going to bed. A Franch astronomer said that
they saw about 1 per minutes... I believe that everyone
now in the station making observations is happy and you will
read some more 'official' reports from various observers
here in future...

For those who are now in daylight, I suggested
that starting your observation as soon as possible (I mean,
immediately after your local midnight). If the maximum is
still as prediction, and now (24 hrs prior to the maximum)
it's already quite promising, you could also see a lot
meteors in between?

Clear skies for all, Jin
Jin Zhu                           | Tel.: +86-10-62759888 (O)
Beijing Astronomical Observatory  |       +86-10-68392030 (H)
Chinese Academy of Sciences       |       +86-314-5053035-806 (Schmidt dome)
P. R. China                       | Fax : +86-10-62759888