[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: bright Leonids 98Nov15/16 from Florida

1998 Nov 15/16 brought the beginning of the Leonid increase with two  -8
fireballs in just over an hour.  The first one at 255 EST  (755 UT) had a
10-minute train ; the second at 350 EST (850 UT) was deep in my ESE only 10
degrees up with train 10 seconds.  Two full hours  326 - 526 EST  (826 -
1026 UT) had Leonid rates 5 and 14 in sky LM7.3.  I watched 235 - 545 EST
(735 - 1045 UT) with the best sky conditions seeing 32 Leonids.

Just after stopping the ground at 602 EST  (1102 UT)  was lit by an
estimated  -6m Leonid in the SE ; I saw a brilliant orange train for 3
seconds -- best sunlit train I've ever seen.

Leonid magnitudes from sky LM7.3 only :

-8....2 Leonids
-2....2
-1....3
0.....4
1.....5
2.....6
3.....3
4.....1
5.....4
6.....2

Total here is 32.  Average magnitude 1.22 using all of them : omitting the
two brightest ones lowers the average to 1.83m.

I had to wait a couple of hours out there for clouds to move on.  Napping
under a sheet and sleeping bag to avoid mosquitoes was very hot ; temp in
low 70's under the clouds.  After clearing it cooled down about 5 degrees
but the mosquitoes stayed rather bad.  I had to keep the fanning up most of
the time with a piece of cardboard -- good also for cooling off and
defogging my glasses.  Tonight looks quite good with the worst of the clouds
moving out by dark.  They all seem aimed at South Carolina.  Any problems
with clouds should be localized and brief.

Norman