[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids over Southern Quebec, Canada

What a night!

In 32 years of observing meteors showers, this is the brightest display
that I have ever seen. A lot of fireballs and it was not ususual to see
more than 5 leonids in only one minute. The display was strong all the
night.

Here the weather was not very good. It was variable sky, with periods of
overcast. Only the last hour of observation (05:15 to 06:15 EST)
offerred clearer sky. Limiting magnitude was between 2.5 and 5.0 with
most of the time near 3.5. At the beginning the temperature was 21F
(-6C) and at the end it was17F (-8).

I think that the night of 17/18 November will offer less meteors for
observers in the eastern part of North America. But I hope I am wrong.
The forecast is for clear sky here in Quebec city, so I plan to observe
under better condition.

Gaetan Chevalier