[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids

Observed from 2:08 to 5:55 with great skies outside Heber Springs.  Totals
383 Leonids, 10 Taurids, and 15 Sporadics.  Pete Rasmussen joined me about
3:45.

The highlights were a  -6 or -7 that lit up the sky and left a trail for 3
or 4 minutes.  Several more were about -4 with nice trails.  One trail
through binoculars actually curled around and crossed itself, another
appeared to be a hollow tube.

A gorgeous thin sliver of a moon came up about 5:15 with lots of earth shine
and then about 5:35 with +3 limiting magnitude we got a taste of a meteor
storm.  Within about 3 seconds about a dozen meteors radiated from Leo all
equal distant and about magnitude 1 to 2.  Makes me wish I was in Hawaii or
Japan to see the peak.