[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) FROM LEW: Nov 16/17 Summary (Any Asian reports yet from Nov 17/18?)

I am in Ft. Myers, FL at Norm McLeod's home today. I made a run from the Florida
Keys to his observing site East of here last night (4 hours flat, no
speeding tickets!)
to find mostly cloudy skies near radiant-rise. Clouds didn't allow any full
Teff hours.

But I recorded MANY fireballs, and at least 60 minutes worth of (IMO-worthy)
activity,
including TWO -8 fireballs, and my first-ever -12 fireball seen through
heavy clouds.
(The TRAIN on this fireball was at least -2, and more likely -4, since
Sirius was NOT
visible through cloud at the time. This train blazed forth for 10 seconds
nonetheless!)

All observation was under LM=7.4 skies with 20% or less cloud cover. All in
all, an
EXTREMELY satisfying session, with several clumps of 3-5 meteors within short 5
to 10 second bursts. (Skies in the Keys of course, cleared magnificently by
2am, I
am told, and our -12 was vividly visible down there... Oh, well, them's the
breaks!)

We will continue to observe from here tonight. My thanks to Norm and his
kind wife
Joan for giving a landing place to this weary meteor pilgrim.

NOW FOR MY QUESTION: Where are the reports from *today's* observing runs
in Asia? Yesterday's reports of many fireballs and rapidly increasing rates
got all
of us in Europe and the US very excited for the coming event. But what happened
with today's predicted 19h UT peak??? Was it seen?

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer
Norman W. McLeod III
Asst Visual Program Coordinator