[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids

In a remote area near Camp Verde, Arizona we saw 821 meteors
from 12:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. of November 17th.  We only saw
about 50 the first hour and about 50 the last hour.  Each
hour through the night we saw more and more, though the last
hour petered out.  A lot of them came in pairs and triplets.
About 5:30 a.m. we saw a fireball coming directly straight
down right over where the sun was to rise, lighting up the
whole sky, lasting a good 8 seconds.  It started out white
and then turned a beautiful azure blue.  The train was
visible for about 15 minutes after that.  All in all we saw
about 9 or 10 really good fireballs of a variety of colors.
Three were just below the horizon to the east lighting up
the sky to highlight the horizon.  Very pretty.  Although
this night was impressive we can't help but be a bit jealous
of people in places where 1000 are falling an hour.

We amateurs at this so we know nothing of reporting
magnitudes, latitudes, etc.  Tell me, do you think that it
is worth it to spend another night under the stars tonight
or will we see less than the 821 we saw last night?