[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Radio Leonids-New Mexico

(Sorry if this message duplicates my previous post. I received my own
message sent to meteorobs chopped and incomplete.   ??  )

Tuesday November 17, 1998

What I wrote in my first message was that I radio observed the Leonids by
FM forward scatter from Santa Fe, New Mexico beginning at 11 pm Monday
night. I used two radios and had a successful session. I also visually
observed while listening under headphones.

Most of the night the radio reception was saturated due to long lasting
Leonid trains and smoke trails that lasted many minutes. Seldom did the
reception return to baseline white noise. I was able to visually witness
certain fireballs and simultaneously hear the scatter they reflected. This
happened most often with horizonal fireballs at about 10 degrees elevation.
This was a first for me.

I was able to radio monitor until 2000 UT (1 PM Mountain Standard Time).
Leo was still above the horizon here in daylight at this time but low.
There was plenty of radio activity but I could not discern if there was the
predicted outburst at 1800-2000 UT.

I also visually looked hard for daylight fireballs after dawn and thought I
detected some suspicious smoke trails that hung in the daylight sky that
had the signatures of the nighttime Leonids. I had then thought that if
there was an outburst that there might have been many daylight smoke trails
hanging in the sky.  Unfortunately, clouds started moving in at about 10am
(1700 UT) so I could not tell if there was an actual outburst at 1800 to
2000 UT).

I am anxious to hear from Asian observers.

Tom Ashcraft
35.41 N  105.57 W
Santa Fe, New Mexico