[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids from Tuscon, Arizona

Please reply to miket@ns.arizonadot edu and this personal address.

This is a brief report because I'm getting ready for round two of the
Leonids tonight. Observation location was the Vega-Bray Obsevatory 1 hour
east of Tucson ( Limiting mag 7.0 for much of the sky). I changed my
location at the last moment due to the possiblity of high clouds moving in.
It was perfectly clear all night.

It was no storm but a great shower; 100-300 per hour depending on who you
talk to here in town. People and the news media were happy with the shower
and why not? Lots of bright meteors; 50% of those seen were -2 mag or
brighter. 15% left lasting plasma trails which were a kick to see in my
70mm Vixen binoculars. About 5 an hour were -6 mag or brighter. Brightest
seen were two -8 mag fireballs. What was really interesting was how many
bright meteors were near the horizon; 45% or so.

I got several good photographs using two C-8's for tracking; Will try again
tonight.

Mike Terenzoni