[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids -- SE UK

Just back from long & frustrating drive from London to the
south coast & back, along the S. Downs, chasing gaps in the
clouds ... As the seeing got worse the further we drove, & was
10/10 cloud by Littlehampton (~80 miles ?), we turned round
& headed back. We were just outside the London orbital motorway
(M25) when in someone noticed some stars in a gap between
streetlights. Found a dark lane & managed to see > half dozen
fireballs & 2-4 faint meteorites through holes in the clouds & haze.
As this was my first attempted observation since 1989 I haven't
learned the constellations yet, so can't estimate mag or which
were Leonids, but ... next year ... :) some had definite colours
-- one orangey red, one very red (fire engine ?), but none
were blue that I saw. Well worth the effort & cold feet even
to see only 10.

How do you 'pro-ams' keep your necks from locking up ?

\a

Follow-Ups: References: