[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Joe Rao's Nov. 18

....well, I don't feel so bad...........

My meager totals from this morning (11/18) are similar to those of
Joe Rao.
In 100 minutes of frosty vigilance from central Ohio (6:15 to 8:55
ut)
I noted 9 Leonids., and 3 "others" (1 was possibly a Taurid).

Sky was mostly a lumpy stew of haze and clouds during that first hour,
 completely
clearing for the last 40 minutes or so.

Tired, cold and discouraged, my wife and I shook off the frost and
made for home
much earlier than we would have had there been more activity (or
about 25 more degrees
in temperature <G>).

Here's a color/magnitude breakdown of my handful of Leonids....

White: +3.0, 0.0, 0.0, -4.0, -2.0 <--this displayed a train of a
couple seconds
Yellow: +2.0, 0.0, -1.0,    the mag +2.0 Leonids displayed a train
Orange -2.0.....the loveliest of the evening...dot it was a sudden burst
of shiny
                       orange light displaying a green train which
lasted 3 seconds

No limiting  magnitude the first hour due to the limiting clouds. The
final
40 minutes the limiting mag was a light polluted +5.75.

Monday night was a cloudy mess. I stood outside for about 20 minutes,
hopin'
to spot a trend of diminishing clouds. Wasn't to be.

I did see an amazing Leonid though. It was bright red! The color
changed to
orange to copper as it streaked southward. This was about midnight
local
time, and was just over the tree line in the east, through a bit of
haze.
It's mag was -5.0.

oh well............................................

____
Even when it was, it wasn't, was it?

Gregg M. Pasterick
Special Contributor at the Prodigy Gardens (somebody has to pull
weeds)
Kilbourne, Ohio

Planet Ohio e-Group list moderator

http://pages.prodigy.com/daddy