[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonid Update for Maltese Observers

Dear Maltese Meteor Observers.

Meteor Astronomy can play many tricks. Clouds, Moonlight, false alarms
are the ones we are most used to. This year's Leonid display pulled a
different one on us all. It is a clear lesson on the value of
predictions and on how one must be prepared... always.

There is the good news and the bad news. The good news is that, from the
hundreds of e-mail reports I have scanned this evening, there was NO
LEONID STORM display this year. So you did not miss anything.

The bad news is that there was nevertheless a spectacular leonid meteor
display this year, with peaks of about 4-5 meteors per minute. The sad
twist is that this rate was achieved at about 4-5 U.T. on Tuesday,
November 17th, some 15hours prior to the announced time of maximum!!

Perhaps we will be doubly lucky next year: A proper storm with the
meteor observing community properly prepared for anything!!!

I attach copy of message sent by Joseph Zammit, who was at Delimara
yesterday hoping for a storm, along with some 30 other persons...:

I am kindly asking Stephen Brincat to circulate this nmesage on his
electronic list.
Regards
Dr Godfrey Baldacchino
Director, Meteor Group