[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Zen calmness

Here I sit Wednesday afternoon in Massachusetts, looking out the
window at a beautiful, clear, blue dusk after being rained out for the
nights of the Leonids... which I also missed due to clouds in 1966 as
a teenager.

I can only remember something I wrote once in Sky & Telescope, on how
to approach astronomy:

8. Lose your ego. Astronomy teaches patience and humility -- and you'd
better be prepared to learn them. There's nothing you can do about the
clouds blocking your view, the extreme distance and faintness of the
objects you desire most, or the timing of the long-anticipated event
for which you got all set up one minute late. The universe will not
bend to your wishes; you must take it on its own terms....  There are
definitely times when a Zen calmness will help you through.

Now I just gotta take my own advice.

Alan MacRobert
Sky & Telescope