[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) South Jersey Leonids- Day 2 quieter

Hi all:

We observed here again at the Wesa Tsalagi (Cherokee Cat) Observatory in
Mays Landing, Southern New Jersey (about 15 miles SW of Atlantic City)
from 0615 to 0805 UTC on evening of November 17-18.  Limiting mag was
5.0 at start increasing to 6.0 at end.  Lots of binoc Messier objects
visible. No clouds (Yessss, no clouds in South Jersey!!!).  We faced E
thru SW and viewed at 30 degrees.  No breaks taken.

Informal results:

Observer Fred Mason (me) saw 2 Taurids and 15 Leonids for a total of 17
meteors.
Observer Amy Shelton (wife and Statistician) saw 1 Taurid, 17 Leonids,
and 2 Sporadics for a total of 20 meteors.

Not anywhere near as exciting as the previous nite of fireworks.  Most
meteors were on the dim side with a few bright ones.  No spectacular
fireballs like the nite before.  A couple of short trains but no lasting
ones like Monday nite's. We packed it in early because Amy had to work.
I am still enjoying vacation of astronomy and home construction and can
sneak in a nap or two.

So we agree that the 1998 Leonids peak was 12 hours or so early and
provided a great show but no storm in this neighborhood.  A very active
shower though and an excellent "Fireworks show" on 11/16-17.

Formal reports with mags and stuff will be submitted for both nites when
time permits.

Fred Mason
Atlantic Community College
capnjeep@worldnet.attdot net (or)  fmason@atlanticdot edu